Facebook users in India can now lock their profile “completely” so only friends can view their photos and posts. “The ability to lock your profile is a feature designed for people in India, especially women, who want more control over their Facebook experience,” the social media giant said in a statement on Thursday. Facebook is basically expanding the feature-set of its existing profile picture guard with the new announcement, to give users complete control over who they choose to share their profile with.
Lock Facebook profile via mobile app
Open the Facebook app and tap on your profile
Tap the three dot menu icon next to ‘Add to Story’
Here, you should see a Lock Profile option, tap on it
The next page will give you a brief on how it works with an option to Lock Your Profile at the bottom, tap on it
You should see a pop-up that says ‘You Locked Your Profile’, tap on OK
Lock Facebook profile via desktop
While there is no direct way to lock your app from the browser, there is a workaround that you can use if you do not have access to the mobile app:
- Head to https://www.facebook.com/
- Click on your profile icon In the URL, replace ‘www’ with ‘m’ so that the URL now reads ‘m.facebook.com/yourprofilename’
- This will take you to a mobile version of Facebook on your desktop browser and you should see a three dot menu next to the Edit Profile option
- In the three dot menu, you should see the Lock Profile option, click on it
- Just like the Android version, this next page will show you how locking works, with an option to Lock Your Profile at the bottom. Click on it
- You’re profile is now locked
Before introducing a profile lock feature, Facebook already had an option called ‘Profile Picture Guard’ which allowed users to lock their profile picture from profile visitors. The feature is still available and it essentially prevents profile visitors from viewing or downloading a profile photo on their devices. As for the new ‘Facebook Profile Lock’ feature, it can also help users hide their profile details and other activities on their timeline, including posts.